ISO 22000Food Safety Management Systems (ISO 22000 - HACCP) in Hotel Industry
ISO 22000 is the food safety management system that replaced the ΕLΟΤ 1416 standard and HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points). Its aim is to ensure food safety, that is, to ensure that food products are not detrimental to consumers’ health. The system can be applied to food processing businesses of all sizes and types.
According to current Regulation 852/2004 of the European Parliament and the Commission that replaced Directive 93/43/EU, the application, maintenance and revision of a Food Safety Management System including Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) is a requirement for companies that Prepare, Process, Manufacture, Package, Store, Transport, Distribute, Handle, Offer for sale or supply of foodstuffs.
Firms include packers, manufacturers, restaurateurs, supermarkets, caterers, hotels that have mass food premises, etc.
The benefits of the implementation and certification of a HACCP System under ISO 22000:2005 are summarized as follows:
- It is an international Certificate, therefore it facilitates international transactions.
- It is specially designed for easy implementation in SMEs providing them with flexibility and undisputed accreditation.
- With the application of the standard, the current legal requirements are immediately fulfilled.
- The trust of the market towards the hotels immediately increases.
Certification under the ISO 22000 Standard implies and guarantees that the hotels is following best practices both within its internal processes and within the full supply chain.
The company can participate in Competitions and public tenders where HACCP and certification under 22000 are a prerequisite.
The Standard is based on 7 main axes:
- Dangers analysis
- Identification of Critical Points of Control
- Identification of Critical Limits
- Installation of Surveillance Processes of Critical Points of Control – Undertaking of Corrective Actions
- Installation of Surveillance and Filing processes under HACCP
- HACCP Verification
A Hospitality Service that is certified ISO 22000: 2005 acquires feature:
- To demonstrate its ability to ensure food security and control of risks in order to provide products according to their intended use, are safe for the consumer - customer
- Document compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements for food safety
- To effectively communicate the data on food safety to suppliers, customers and stakeholders
- To ensure that the stated food safety policy is implemented
The benefits of implementing a FSMS against ISO 22000 include:
- Increasing the level of food safety
- Creating competitive advantage
- The management of business risk
- The investment attraction
- Improving the image of the organization
- The reduction in operating costs and savings
The certification of a food safety management system under ISO 22000, is not compulsory for the Classification of Hotels or Rentals-Furnished Rooms and Apartments in its respective category (stars/keys). It is though a prerequisite for every food serving company to have a food safety management system.
*However, the application of such a System (along with its subsequent certification) leads to the fulfillment of the respective Optional Criterion for the Hotel Category boosting the total rating by 200 points (Hotels). There is no rating boosting for Rentals – Furnished Rooms and Apartments.Interest Form